Sudan’s warring military units have agreed to a new seven-day-long ceasefire beginning on Thursday, to be mediated by neighboring South Sudan. The new agreement is longer than the previous 24- to 72-hour ceasefires. However, air strikes and shootings are allegedly still taking place near the capital Khartoum, undermining this latest supposed truce.

Truce violations have been the norm since mid-April, when the conflict first erupted between Sudanese army and paramilitary forces. The current ceasefire was scheduled to expire on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, South Sudan’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement that the mediation, led by President Salva Kiir, had driven both sides to agree on a week-long ceasefire from May 4 to 11. It wasn’t clear, however, how the discussions would progress between Sudanese Armed Forces Chief, Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his rival, Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, who is the leader of Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

On Tuesday, witnesses reported more air strikes in Omdurman and Bahri, located on the opposite bank of the Nile River from Khartoum. According to Al Jazeera news, Sudanese army warplanes were targeting RFS positions, and anti-aircraft fire could be heard from Khartoum.

The embassies of India and Saudi Arabia were attacked and vandalized early on Wednesday, but no casualties were reported.

Army jets bombed RSF units hiding in residential areas of the capital region. The conflict has also spread to Darfur, in western Sudan. The RSF paramilitary unit allegedly evolved from the smaller tribal militias during the civil war some 20 years ago.

The current conflict between the two Sudanese factions escalated about three weeks ago, destroying Khartoum, one of the largest cities in Africa, and resulting in 550 deaths and leaving another 4,926 injured people, according to Sudan’s Ministry of Health.

Foreign governments evacuated their embassies and urged all remaining local citizens to return home. Great Britain’s last flight left Port Sudan on the Red Sea on Wednesday.

The Sudanese conflict has caused a humanitarian crisis, with around 100,000 people reportedly forced to flee to neighboring countries, according to the United Nations. About one-third of the population has been relying on humanitarian aid.

There is growing concern that an even more extensive crisis could shake the region in the coming months, as Sudan’s impoverished neighbors grapple with an influx of refugees.

“The entire region could be affected,” said Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi in an interview on Tuesday.

The United Nations’ World Food Programme is returning to Sudan’s safer locations following an extended pause earlier in the conflict, during which some of its staff were killed.

Médecins Sans Frontières, also known as Doctors Without Borders, said they successfully delivered some aid from Port Sudan to the capital approximately 800 kilometers (about 500 miles) away. The non-governmental organization is known for its assistance in conflict zones and nations affected by endemic diseases.

Some 330,000 Sudanese people have been displaced and relocated  to safer places in the war-torn nation. Some families have been forced to flee, sometimes by foot in the scorching desert heat, with a goal of reaching the country of Chad and South Sudan.

“We suffer from power and water cuts, our children have stopped school. What’s happening in Khartoum is hell,” according to a Sudanese state employee. Others have reported unprecedented suffering during the five-day journey to Egypt, only to be greeted with a long queue at the border.

Approximately 40,000 Sudanese have already made their way from Khartoum to Egypt, suffering hardship with their families during the 1,000-kilometer journey, in some cases, only to be greeted with a long queue at the Egyptian border before being permitted to cross into safety.

The U.N. has estimated that some 800,000 Sudanese refugees will eventually leave.

Share this article